NORTH CAROLINA GENERAL ASSEMBLY
HOUSE BILL 642
AN ACT TO AMEND CHAPTER 593 OF THE SESSION LAWS OF 1951 WITH REGARD TO POWERS AND DUTIES OF THE TAR RIVER PORT COMMISSION.
The General Assembly of North Carolina do enact:
Section 1. Chapter 593 of the Session Laws of 1951 is hereby amended by:
(1) Amending Section 2(b), as rewritten in Section 1 of Chapter 1379 of the Session Laws of 1957, by adding thereto a new sentence to read as follows: "The word 'project' shall also include the acquisition for sale, lease or other development of real property located within the area of the Tar River Port as herein defined."
(2) Amending Section 2 thereof by adding a new subdivision thereto to be designated subdivision (e) to read as follows:
"(e) The words 'Tar River Basin' or 'Tar River Port' shall mean and include all that area within four (4) miles on either side of the Tar River as the same is located in Pitt County."
(3) Rewriting Section 5(e) thereof to read as follows:
"(e) To construct, maintain, repair and operate or lease for operation projects or other real or personal property located on or within the Tar River Basin, as defined in this Act, being four (4) miles on either side of the Tar River as the same is located in Pitt County."
(4) Rewriting Section 5(i) thereof to read as follows:
"(i) To acquire, hold and dispose of real and personal property by sale or lease in the exercise of its powers and the performance of its duties under this Act, including but not limited to the sale or lease of real or personal property to other persons, firms or corporations in furtherance of the general powers and duties of the Tar River Port Commission to develop the Tar River Port, its facilities and related operations."
(5) Amending Section 5 thereof by adding thereto a new subdivision to be designated subdivision (p) and to read as follows:
"(p) To engage in projects and expend moneys for the deepening or widening of the channel of the Tar River Basin both within the area defined as the Tar River Basin and along such river South and East to the Atlantic Ocean."
Sec. 2. All laws and clauses of laws in conflict with this Act are hereby repealed.
Sec. 3. This Act shall be in full force and effect from and after its ratification.
In the General Assembly read three times and ratified, this the 6th day of June, 1961.